Please consider the following:

Note that the posts you find herein need edition. They are not finalized. They do still need some correction. I am more concered with doing the tasks for the moment being. These should be finalized soon. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Reflection on Web Searching: Tips to follow and search engine to recommend

I am very pleased to read Deborah’s article “Technology Tip of the Month” because it has expanded my competency in web searching for needed information. Those tips are really good because they help get the information easily. The script you put as an entry in the search bar determines the efficiency of the findings.
“Choose the Best Search for Your Information Need” states a list of interesting web search engines which are all interesting, but some of them I think are more than the others only because their interfaces are different, they use a lot of ads or they are specialized in certain domains. I have tried many of them using the same entries “ICT for education” and “communication mistakes” +ELT to compare them. Ask, Clusty, ipl2, Wikipedia are quicker and simpler and provide more appealing links. So, I would recommend these for academic but also special searches. As far as the trial I did, Intute’s responses are not quick and efficient and I had to reformulate my entries twice or three times to get something. If your are looking for issues related to the USA, American Memory, usa.gov, library.northwestern.edu, factfinder and many others are great.
In fact, I can not recommend a particular site rather than another one because when I consider these search engines, I usually think of how good they are to English teaching. As a teacher, I know that all of them work well. It only depends on what we want them for. I can choose Americanrhetoric for example to download speeches and make use of them in my classes. I would also go to maps.nationalgeographic.com to make use of maps to teach geography or culture. Of course, these sites are different in terms of content, design, themes and search manner, but I believe that they all might work well for a teacher of English. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Hamid,

    As you point out, search engines are another example of "it depends" - the usefulness of one or another depends on the task. You might want to add the links to each of the tools you mention so that you can get back to them more easily later.

    Yours,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Deborah,
    Thank you for the reaction and guidance. A good idea I've missed! I'll will add the links for future use as you said.
    Yours,
    Hamid

    ReplyDelete